You probably won’t be surprised to learn that John 3:16 is the most-searched Bible verse, according to Bible Gateway’s statistical analysis. We reviewed the behavior of some of the 8 million visitors who stop by the site each month, many of them chasing results provided by Google. I was intrigued to review the top 10 results, which I’ve listed in reverse order. https://www.biblegateway.com/blog/2011/01/the-top-10-most-searched-bible-verses-whats-missing/
10. Matthew 28:19:“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.”
9. Philippians 4:6:“Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.”
8. Romans 12:2:“Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.”
7. Proverbs 3:6:“In all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.”
6. Proverbs 3:5:“Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.”
5. Genesis 1:1:“In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.”
4. Philippians 4:13:“I can do all this through him who gives me strength.”
3. Romans 8:28:“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”
2. Jeremiah 29:11:“‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the LORD, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.’”
1. John 3:16:“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
When we consider these ten most searched Bible verses it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out the major theme of these texts. If you could sum up these ten verses in one word what would that be? After careful analysis one word, one idea, one need is obvious. These verses all point to assurance!
Study after study has pointed out that when people lose their security and have no assurances in their lives they will withdraw from life and die. In other words we all need to be touched deeply in our soul with the assurance that life has a purpose, that the bible has real answers, and that there is an eternity coming for those who love Jesus.
Forty years of Christian ministry confirm this truth! Out of the hundreds and hundreds of people I have counseled over the yearsd lack of assurance, lack of hope, lack of purpose was almost always the root cause of their problems. We live in a world of daily chaos. We never know what is going to happen to us good or bad.
Recently a good friend, a grandmother, witnessed the death of her seven year old grandson in a freak sledding accident. Her world, her life, her family was literally turned upside down in one brief moment. Thankfully she knows where her ultimate assurance lies and she knows that Jesus will have the final word.
This is why we see so many lives in ruin, chaos, despair and brokenness. Somehow we have come to believe that a good education and a good job with a good income is what will give us assurance in life. While I encourage the good education, good job and good income they do not result in any assurance of life itself.
Jesus is emphatic when he says to you and me, “Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life. – John 5:24 Assurance and confidence, even when life is out of control, is not in things but in the person of Jesus Christ. When we know him we have inner peace and the knowledge that this life is temporary but the life to come is eternal.
I would like to give you one more “ASSURANCE” scripture verse that is my favorite These are the words of the Bible that you and I can take to heart and literally to the bank of eternity.
Jesus performed many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name. John 20:30-31
LIVE WITH ASSURANCE BECAUSE YOU KNOW JESUS AND HE KNOWS YOU!